Hi, I'm Josh Sutphin, and Third Helix is my indie game studio and consultancy.
I’ve made it my mission to make a comfortable, secure living by creating indie games. And since games are unpredictable hit-or-miss products, I pair this work with independent consulting, offering my Unity expertise and industry experience to other indies and studios who need technical and/or design assistance.
Game Design Principles
Third Helix games are built with a carefully-chosen set of design principles in mind:
- Kinesthetics: Responsive controls, satisfying interactions, and best-in-class game feel.
- Evergreen gameplay: Rich game dynamics create games that feel more like long-term hobbies than disposable entertainment.
- Imagination: Wonder and discovery. Embracing the unknown, the challenging, and the weird.
- Interesting dilemmas: Tough choices that emphasize individual play styles and self-expression.
- Niche appeal: I'd rather build a small, dedicated niche community than try to please everyone all the time.
- Multi-platform: Games that can be played when you want, where you want.
Before going indie I was the lead designer at LightBox Interactive, creators of the 2012 PS3 shooter Starhawk, and before that I was a designer on Incognito Entertainment's award-winning PS3 shooter Warhawk. I also created the Ludum Dare-winning RTS/tower-defense hybrid Fail-Deadly.